5 Dangerous Electrical Hazards for Old Homes (And Why You Need an Electrician)

Electricity is a necessity for every home and commercial establishment. It powers everything from a heater to a stove to a mobile phone. It lights up lives and keeps you warm (or cold.) Since people rely on it so much for daily tasks, anything related to it must be maintained and regularly examined. An electrician for homeowners is the one who usually does routine maintenance on the house to prevent any threats due to electrical currents.

A house that is more than three years old is at peril from a lot of things. Electrical hazards are a real and present danger. Regular maintenance protects your home from the following health and property risks.

Faulty electrical wiring

The electrical wiring of your house should always conform to local safety standards. Unfortunately, your home wires age as well. Loose connections (via switches or electrical outlets), cracked wire insulation, overheated cords, and even frayed appliance cables are dangerous to your home’s well-being. Unseen damages such as corrosion and regular wear and tear increase the chances of electricity-based accidents tenfold. There is also a risk of a power surge which may lead to a fire within your residence. 

As you should never try to do it yourself, it is best to get a professional electrician for homeowners to help when replacing old wires. 

Extension cords

When you are in dire need of additional electrical sockets, an extension cord is an answer to your problems. However, it becomes a danger when it is not fixed in place. You can trip on it by accident, and can even incur additional tears due to a lot of movement. The cord itself may get frayed when stepped on or frequent rubbing on concrete. 

Outlets close to water sources

Your kitchen probably has an electrical outlet for your small cooking appliances. There is a possibility that your bathroom has one too for a shaver or a hairdryer. It is best to remember that water is a good conductor of electricity, so the outlets should be installed away from any faucet and other water sources. And should an accidental fire break out, never use water to put it out as it may cause electric shock or even electrocution. If you do not have a fire extinguisher, cut the main power source, evacuate, and call the fire department immediately. (And you should also inform your electrician since he would need to drop by your house as soon as he can.) 

A curious toddler

The thirst for knowledge is a never-ending quest for all people. Toddlers and young children are the best when it comes to world exploration. They tend to play with things that they see around the house, and an electrical socket is no exception. Unfortunately, parents are unable to supervise them all the time, so safety measures must always be put in place. It is best to protect all sockets (and the children) with rubber plugs as a safeguard against possible accidents.

Wet hands

As mentioned, water is a good electricity conductor. So, touching an appliance with wet hands is never a good idea since it can give you quite a shock. An electrical jolt may range from minor to severe. So never reach for any machine that runs on electricity, even if your hands are slightly damp.

When you think you need rewiring at home, you should never do it by yourself. Always invite a licensed electrician for homeowners to check out your place for any electrical work.